Check availability or book online now
Things to do in and around Fort William
There are so many things to do in Fort William and Lochaber – the outdoor Capital of the U.K. You don’t have to be involved in outdoor sports to enjoy our fantastic scenery.
Here are a few suggestions:
- GLEN NEVIS- take a drive up and discover the lower falls.
- BEN NEVIS – Britain’s highest mountains at 4,405ft attracts outdoor enthusiasts of all abilities.
- Take a trip on the Nevis Range Mountain Gondola.
- The Road to the Isles. The journey from Fort William to Mallaig is judge to be one of the most scenic and spectacular in Scotland. It passes through Glenfinnan, the site of the Jacobite uprising of 1745 and onto the Morar with its beautiful silver sand beaches, before finally arriving in the fishing village of Mallaig where you can take a ferry to Skye.
- Visit the seal colony on Loch Linnhe during a boat trip.
- Discover the secret of whisky distilling at Ben Nevis Distillery.
- Visit the Forestry LOCHAN in Glencoe for a beautiful short walk – site of the famous massacre of the MacDonalds. The National Trust for Scotland Glencoe Visitor Centre has a wealth of information on the geology and history of the glen.
- Watched the boat navigates Neptune’s Staircase on the Caledonian Canal at Banavie.
- CASTLE Stalker, on the road to Oban, URQUHART CASTLE on the road to Inverness, CASTLE TOIRAM on the road to Ardnamurchan peninsula.
- LOCH NESS. The southern end of Loch Ness at Fort Augustus has the canal locks, also boat trips onto the loch for a spot of Nessie hunting.
- The Jacobite Steam Train runs from May to September when you can travel back in time to the age of steam and experience one of the great railway journeys in the world. The steam train has been in numerous films-the latest being Harry Potter’s film.
- The Ardnamurchan Peninsula. Visit this remote region of the West Highlands to experience the rugged splendour of the Lochs and Mountains. The lighthouse at the end of the road is the most westerly point of mainland Britain.